To take captive everthing that enters my mouth and to take captive everything that comes out of my mouth so that I can give my mouth to God for His good pleasure

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

True

How do you know what is true? For all you Lost fans, do you find yourself confused between what and who to believe? I do. I wonder what is true; who or what can be trusted. What will happen to the people on the island? Who is lying? Who is telling the truth? What is good? Where do I put my trust? Perhaps we can ask similar questions about life? What is true? What is real? Who can we trust with our lives? Where do we find answers we can rely upon? How do we know what is true? How do we distinguish the truth from lies? Why is it so easy to get confused?

I looked up true in Webster's dictionary and thesaurus and found the following words: faithful, loyal, constant, certain, in accordance with fact, that agrees with reality, not false, precise, exact, right, correct, valid, sure, dependable, sincere, authentic, pure, genuine. I don't know about you, but I believe most people are looking for what is true. No one wants to be bamboozled, tricked, lied to, deceived.

Lately, I've spent some time identifying lies that I have been guilty of believing. These are the lies that Satan whispers in your head when hungry (physically or spiritually) angry, lonely, or tired. These are the lies Satan has convinced the world as truth and therefore leads me to believe them and get confused. These are the lies that separate me from the ones that I love. It causes resentment, bitterness in heart, pride, greed, vanity. It leads me to "store up treasure" on earth, in the things that will fade away and be destroyed. It leads me to focus on the temporary rather than the eternal. It leads me to believe that I am either entitled to whatever my heart desires or the opposite, unlovable and unworthy of anything. These lies believe in instant gratification. Identifying the lies of Satan helps me to distinguish what is true and where to put my hope.

I want to be certain about where to put my hope. I want the foundation of my life decisions to be dependable. I want to know that in the end, I will be safe and happy. I want to be sure of my future and to trust that he who holds the future is faithful and loyal. The following is my incomplete list of what is true.

  1. God made the heavens, the earth, and all that is in it.
  2. God created me to be in a relationship with Him.
  3. I fail no matter how hard I try to to good.
  4. My failure, sin and selfishness keep me apart from God.
  5. God sent His Son, the Christ, to die so that I would not have to die.
  6. Jesus died because my sin brings about death eternal.
  7. Jesus gave up His life out of love and took up His life out of authority.
  8. Jesus restores the relationship God wants with me.
  9. He provides His Spirit to teach and to guide me.
  10. The resurrection will take place.

I put my trust in God. Why? I believe he is the only hope for me. I trust His word and His promises. I think He is faithful, loyal, dependable, sincere. I believe He can and will give me life eternal. I believe God is the only one who can do these things.

God is the only answer when life gets confusing. The world is full of lies, lies that sound convincing yet leave me empty and alone. Only God offers the full truth and nothing but the truth.

What is true? The ultimate search in life....."seek first His kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find." Matthew 6:33 & 7:7 May the following scriptures inspire you on your quest for what is true.

"For the Lord is right and true, he is faithful in all he does." Psalm 33:4

"Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent." John 17:3

"Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." Psalm 25:5

"All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal." Psalm 119:160

"We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true-even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life." 1 John 5:20

One last thought...ask the Lord to show you what is true. Ask that he open your eyes, your ears, your mind, and your heart. God will prove himself to you! Just ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment