To take captive everthing that enters my mouth and to take captive everything that comes out of my mouth so that I can give my mouth to God for His good pleasure

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Love

I've struggled with love over the years. It is a simple subject yet so difficult to put into action. Years ago, I prayed that God would put love into my heart for others. It helped! God gave me a deeper appreciation and respect for others, His church and this world. Eventhough, God gave me a portion of love for others, I still have far more growing to do. This year's challenge has awakened my eyes to the lack of love in my life. I understand the significance of love, the command to love, yet I struggle to humble myself, to put my own desires aside for the good of others. I am selfish and unloving.

There are a few verses that stand out in my mind when I think about love. The first verse comes from 1 Corinthians 13:1-3. It states, "If I can speak in the tongues of men and of angles, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all my possession to the poor, or surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing." What good am I to God, to you, or myself if I have not love? I don't want to be nothing or useless. I am useless and worthless without love.

I feel that there is no way for me to love without the love of God. It isn't natural or easy for me or any person (in my opinion) to love. I believe love is of God and from God. Therefore without God, love is foreign to us, to me. Without God, I can not know anything about love, how to love or to be loved. "We love because he first loved us," 1 John 4:19.

So eventhough nothing about me is loveable or capable of love, God loves me. He loves me first and teaches me about love. "God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us," Romans 5:8." "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us," 1 John 3:16a.

This type of love is unfathomable. I can't comprehend the depth of God's love. Jesus expressed to his disciples before giving up his own life upon the cross that gving one's life for another is the greatest love. He teaches us to lay down our lives, to humble ourselves, our own agendas, needs, desires for others. "My command is this, Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends," John 15:12-13.

I am supposed to love you, all others, as Jesus has loved me! How? I don't know how! Or do I? It begins with God. I must stay with God. I must reside with God. Love derives from God. I can only find love, the love that I can and must share with others, in God. Only if I dwell with God, will I be able to love others.

Why? 1 Peter 4:8, "Above all, love each other deeply because love covers a mulititude of sins." Huh? "Love is patient, love is kind. It doens't envy, it doesn't boast, it is not proud. it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it isn't easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love doesn't delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres," 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 Love, the love of God, keeps us from sin. God's love prevents sin. If I am loving at its fullness, like God, I will not sin. How great is this love!

Even better, "How great is the love of the Father has lavished on us that we should be called chilren of God," 1 John 3:1.

"How deep the Fathers love for us,
how vast beyond all measure,
that he should give his only son,
to make a wretch his treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss,
the Father turns his face away,
as wounds which mar the chosen one,
bring many sons to glory.
Behold the man upon a cross,
my sin upon his shoulders,
ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
call out among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held him there,
until it was accomplished,
His dying breath has brought me life,
I know that it is finished.
I will not boast in anything,
no gifts no power no wisdom,
but I will boast in Jesus Christ,
His death and resurrection.
Why should I gain from his reward?
I can not give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart,
His wounds have paid my ransom."
Lyrics by Stuart Towend, 1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment