To take captive everthing that enters my mouth and to take captive everything that comes out of my mouth so that I can give my mouth to God for His good pleasure

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Meditation

Each week I will be studying a different word found in scripture and using scripture to guide my in this challenge. This week I am taking a deeper look at the word "meditation." Meditation means deep continued thought; solemn reflection on sacred matters as a devotional act (Webster's New World College Dictionary). Without deep continued thought or reflection over the Word of God, I will not be successful this year in my goal "captivating my mouth for His good pleasure". Psalm 19:14 states, "May the words or my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." I want my words to be pleasing, and those start in my heart. Therefore, I must watch carefully over my heart. My deep continued thoughts need to be over God's Word. Only in the Bible will I find anything worthy of meditation. Once I fill my heart with God's Word will my heart and my mouth become pleasing to Him. So I pray the same prayer as David.

Earlier today in study, I found more meaning in meditation. I set out to read through the Bible in a year using a daily genre method. (If you want to know more about this, just ask.) Today's planned reading was Joshua 1-5. Immediately I came across 1:8 stating, "This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate upon it day and night, so that you may be careful to do accoding to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success." Wow! God has spoken.

The only way my mouth will be transformed, they only way I will successfully reach my goal for 2010, they only way my mouth will be pleasing to God.... I must meditate upon His Word and do what it says.

Ok...the challenge has already been a challenge! Sadie has been keeping Michael and myself awake through the night since January 1st. Odd? I don't think so. Even though Sadie has always been a good sleeper, I don't find this odd. I believe it is my first lesson, and a challenging lesson at that. How hard is it to have the right heart and pleasing words at 4am when your child has been coughing for hours and there isn't much you can do. Boy does my heart need to meditate upon God's Word. So here is my first mile marker in 2010...I have a lonnnnnng way to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment